httpd-users mailing list archives

From YP <...@club-internet.fr>
Subject Authentication and Single Sign On Support
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2002 09:44:48 GMT
Hi all,

Despite some time spent searching an Open Source authentication module
that could support Single-Sign-On within Apache, I have not found any
that meets my expectations.

This is why I started writing my own module and after some tests within
my own environment I would like to share it with other potential users.

Here are its main features :

- Separation of Authentication and Authorization,
Authentication is handled by a dedicated application that can be written
in any language (Java, PHP...).
The apache module provides only access control on the basis of
information supplied by the authentication application.
It makes easy to customize the login screen (instead of usual pop-up).

- SSO support,(at least within a domain),
- User and group based access restriction,
- Transmission of extra information from the authentication application
to the applications (i.e. group, keys...).

It has be tested as a front-end for Tomcat (with mod_jk), the
credentials are properly transmitted and the users can be traced within
apache logs (which is not the case when authentication is handled by Tomcat.

The document is still scarce but should be enough for a first use ...

Everything can be found at http://perso.club-internet.fr/pedron/

Any feed back would be appreciated, either on usability, on security (it
is expected to be secure)or on similar project ...

Cheers,

Yvon