httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Nerad <jne...@cimedia.com>
Subject How to Not Log Something: (was Re: not logging myself)
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:33:46 GMT
Timothy J. Luoma wrote:

>I have a relatively static IP.
>
>I would like to have my browser stats, etc in the logs automatically
>ignore hits from my own machine.
>
>Is there an easy way to do this?  I tried googling but wasn't able to get
>on-topic results.
>
>Thanks
>
>TjL

There are a bunch of different ways to not log something.  The easiest
to understand is setting an environment variable that means something to
your logging directive.

Something like this should do:

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr  "^my\.ip\.address$" dont_log=1

There are several request headers that you can use to set the "dont_log"
flag [1].

And then  the logging directive [2]

CustomLog logs/access_log common env=!dont_log

The exclamation mark (bang) interprets as "not".

Of course, most acceptable logfile analysis packages will allow you to
ignore requests based on a wide range of criteria.  Filtering by logfile
analysis packages is probably the superior method because you don't lose
information if someone should break into your machine and try to do
something funny on your webserver.  Too, it keeps you accountable for
your actions on your webserver.  Finally, it might help in debugging an
application at some point.