httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Christian Imbeault ...@mega-bucks.co.jp>
Subject Re: ErrorDocument: 403 Forbidden error
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:54:26 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:

>Can you access the error doc directly? i.e. does:
>
>http://your-server/error403.html
>
>work? Obviously it should for the scheme to work but I suspect it will not work. You must
have a

If I have the <File error403.html> directive give access to the file the
the file is served up. If I comment out the directive I get this error:

  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /error403.html on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

>What does you document root point to? I guess /www/htdocs... so is the errordoc /www/htdocs/error403.html?

I think not. Since document root points to /www/htdocs using a leading /
in "/error403.html" means from the DocumentRoot find error403.html. And
anyway I know my syntax is correct because if I had the <File
error403.html> directive to allow access to the file the file gets
served up properly, so obviously the server has no trouble finding it.

The error message does say "a 403 error was encountered" meaning "access
denied". Why was access denied?

Jc