httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Where to best locate and install source files?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 03:29:32 GMT
On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:38:59 -0500, Ron Wingfield wrote:

<snip>

>Generally, how does the unix culture name and locate stuff these days.
>I don't recall ever seeing a /var/ directory in SVR3 or SVR4 AT&T unix.
>What does "var" stand for?

For the "official," if not always honored file hierarchy, see the
"Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

The use of /var/www/ as the document root is not compliant, but is used
apparently for historical reasons.  The /var/ directory is used for
system variable files, such as logs, mail and print spools.

I use /usr/local/lib/www/ and /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin/ for my roots.  An
argument can be made for /usr/local/share/apache/www/ and ../cgi-bin/,
respectively.  The use of /usr/lib/... can be dangerous as upgrades can
over-write these files.  /usr/local/... will be protected.
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---