httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: VitualHost problem finally fixed
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 06:44:56 GMT
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 02:16:53AM -0400, Admin wrote:
> You also must have your BindAddress directive, set as " * "
> and a FQDN  (Fully Qualified Domain Name) set as your "ServerName"
> in the uppermost global config.

As far as I can tell, BindAddress is a wildcard by default.  ie, if you
haven't specifically configured it to something different, httpd will bind
to all addresses on your system.  If this isn't the behaviour you're
seeing, it's a bug with the software - not the documentation.

ServerName needs to be set to a valid FQDN to work properly on the greater
internet (a fact clearly documented in the sample configuration), but this
really only affects the operation of server-generated pages - most notably
redirects.

> Also no one else has ever mentioned this very important
> fact on this list, at all either. Wonder WHY that is?  eh?
> makes you stop and think, doesn't it? Do these people who claim to
> know this or that, REALLY know what they say, or are they just
> stuck up? selfish people?  You decide....

As noted, while the above may have fixed the problem in your particular
instance, it is by no means general advice which is required for everyone.

Please remember that everyone contributing to this list is a volunteer -
no-one is paid to answer questions here.  Naturally, requests which can be
answered quickly are going to receive better aid than those requiring a lot
of time to look at the configuration and the result you're trying to
achieve.

Regarding the documentation, if you have suggestions on how it can be
clarified or otherwise improved, the Documentation project would love to
hear them.  You can find details on joining that list here:

http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-docs

Cheers,

Zac