httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael <mich...@envy.com>
Subject question about limiting connections
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:59:55 GMT
I've noticed a few times the network link to my apache web server (1.3.22)
slows to a crawl.  Looking at the logs a specific person at that time is
downloading a file using what looks like a "browser booster" of some
sort.  There are multiple file requests (multiple children spawned) for the
same file within a millisecond from each other.  My guess is this "booster"
is breaking up that target file to boost his download rate while robbing
everyone else of theirs.

I can see this leading to a DOS attack.  Simply choose a large file and
download it multiple times with this booster.

Of course the copout is to not have large files available for web download,
but that defeats the purpose of allowing web downloads.

I was wondering if there is a way to stop this behavior through some server
configuration.  I'd like to force this person to only have 1 child process
to download their file rather than 5 to 11.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael