httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: Raw beginner needs version info clarification
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:14:20 GMT

> > > I've tried all of your suggestions, but they make no difference.
> >What are you trying to accomplish?
> I am trying to start the apache server.

Then the goal is to get apachectl working, dont worry with httpd directly

> > Which error do you get?
> I typed this in the shell as root:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/apache2/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
>
> Then I typed:
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v

You need to type them in the same line :)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/apache2/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v

> No, when I type this:
> ./apachectl start
>
> I get this error:
> error while loading shared libraries:libdb-3.2.so:cannot open shared
> object file:No such file or directory

Ok, that is a different error. The precompiled Apache depends on that shared
library. On my Linux system I have libdb in /lib and in /usr/lib, can you check it is there
in
your system with the following?

ls -alrt /lib/libdb* /usr/lib/libdb*

If it is missing you may need to install the rpm that provides it in your distribution

> By the way, I've checked the /usr/local/apache2/lib directory and all
> the files the shell complains of not being able to find are there.
>
> > > Which file holds the information which tells httpd to set the environment
> variables?
> > The file is /usr/local/apache2/bin/envvars-std
>
> I have looked into this file and the only difference between its contents
> and the command line you gave above was and EXPORT command.

Yep. The difference is that my line just makes it available to that program
invocation, export is to make available for the rest of the environment.
It should be equivalent. You could also do the following in the command line

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/apache2/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v

(in different lines)

> > I also suggest that, if you can, try to install the server from source,
> instead of using the binary.
>
> The closest I have come to a compiled programming language is Java. I
> have never used C or C++ so "compile" and "link" and "makefile" are only
> concepts to me. I have no experience with them. It's not that I am unwilling
> to learn how to compile and link C code, it's just that it would be a
> further distraction from my goal of learning how to install, configure,
> and administer Apache. If I can put off learning this now I would rather,
> if I cannot put it off, well, then I can't.

Compiling Apache, in Linux systems, is relatively easy to do and does not
require programming knowledge.
Chapter 3 is online at Amazon and covers the installation of Apache 2 on
Unix and Windows (follow the take a look inside link in that page)

Basically what you need to do is download and uncompress the Apache source

tar xvfz apache*.tgz
cd into the created directory
./configure --enable-so --enable-mods-shared=most --prefix=/usr/local/myapache

(--prefix specifies where you want to install it, usually /usr/local/apache2
but you already have a bin installation there)

The type:
make
make install

And you are done! :)

> Admitting that I am no C programmer, I find it hard to imagine that my
> problem is in the Apache executable. I have a feeling (admittedly not
> a based on any hard evidence) that the problem may lie in my Bash shell,
> but Linux, too is fairly new to me, although I have worked with SunOS
> from time to time in the past doing lightweight system administration
> work, programming shell scripts and the like. On the other hand, it may
> be a problem with the "install-bindist.sh" script.

The problem with the bindists from Apache is that they were compiled in a
different machine than yours, so some paths may be different and libraries may
be missing. So I would try what I mentioned before (using apachectl, see if
libdb is missing) and if it still does not work, try building from source
approach

Cheers

Daniel

--