httpd-users mailing list archives

From James Green ...@jmkg.clara.co.uk>
Subject Apache just stopped working on one site, but why? (Somewhat urgent ;)
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:44:29 GMT
Hi all,

This afternoon it was noticed that one of our company sites was down (not
responding, actually hanging). It uses Apache 1.3.26, PHP 4.1.1 and MySQL
3.23.47. Other sites using the same software on the server were running
normally.

Basically last night's logs reveal a load of Windows machines attempting to
use IIS exploits against us, other than that nothing wrong. Early this
morning, it was hit again, and then began serving zero bytes (causing the web
browser to just hang loading the page, as if waiting for a transmission of
html).

Logs show the following:

httpd in free(): warning: recursive call
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call
httpd in free(): warning: recursive call

That occured a lot. Then this:
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call
httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call
[Mon Jul  1 13:52:23 2002] [notice] child pid 62575 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)
[Mon Jul  1 13:54:10 2002] [error] [client 216.239.46.202] File does not
exist: /www/64.94.46.26/robots.txt
[Mon Jul  1 13:54:10 2002] [error] [client 216.239.46.202] File does not
exist: /www/64.94.46.26/foo/robots.txt
[Mon Jul  1 14:07:27 2002] [warn] child process 61160 still did not exit,
sending a SIGTERM
[Mon Jul  1 14:07:27 2002] [warn] child process 82794 still did not exit,
sending a SIGTERM

And a few more of those. Then it restarted. Then I think I shut it down and
restarted manually. I cannot recall the exactly timeline.

Either way, mysqld had shot the load on the server to 1.20-1.95. This is a
dual PIII-1Ghz with 1gb ram and not heavy traffic. Normal load is 0.01-0.03.
About two or three weeks ago I noticed mysqld caused the load to hit 1.00
constant, and then today it hit nearly 2.0.

I stopped apache, checked for disk space (plenty), memory (plenty), stopped
mysql, started it again, then started apache, and again this one site hung on
getting any of it's pages. Other sites are still working fine.

Tonight I have put in a plain html page, which works from that site. I also
put in a plain <?php echo "foo" ?> page in and that also worked. Finally I
took some code from the homepage of the website and performed a mysql
database query (identical to the one it performs) and that also worked.

I have run a copy of the site's database through myisamchk --extend-check and
it gave no errors. I am now wondering what else there is to try.

The site that is down is free4phones.com, try /home.php for a page that should
work but hangs. I'm looking for urgent suggestions.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

James Green