httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: SSI Question
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:12:18 GMT
>From: Joshua Jackson [mailto:jj@anti-exe.com]
>
>I had previously tried /usr/bin/top (that's where it is on my
>system) and it
>didn't work, either.

That is pretty weird... I just tried this on my own system and I get the output with no problem.
It is especially baffling since things like "ls" and "ps" work (if they hadn't, I'd wonder
if the shell which executes the commands had a faulty path). The only advice I can give is
to check out the apache user's account - maybe login as apache (if it is allowed login) and
check if it can run top... The point I'm getting at is that SSI commands are executed in a
shell which is forked for that purpose. The shell belongs to the apache user so has apache's
access permissions, however, it won't inherit any environment variables from apache nor will
any start scripts (e.g. .cshrc) be run. Therefore, that shell will be somewhat limited. Having
said that, it should still be able to run a basic shell command :-)

Rgds,

Owen Boyle