httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: Authentication
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:27:58 GMT
>From: Chris Dion [mailto:chris@thedions.net]
>
>I am using Apache 2.0.39 on windows.  I have recently
>recompiled htpasswd
>with the patches for it applied, now it just crashes.  So I
>pulled out my
>htpasswd from apache 1.3 and made my user file.  I set up the .htaccess
>file and the .htpasswd file in the directory they needed to be
>in.  When I
>go into the directory it asks for a password and I type the
>correct on in
>but it doesn't take. It asks 3 times and then fails.  The
>error log says
>something to the effect of can't find user <blah>.

First a tip: When posting a question to the list, please quote the exact error message (i.e.
cut'n'paste it). Don't paraphrase it from memory. I say this because there are a couple of
possible answers to your problem and now I'll have to either ask you to post again (wastes
time) or give you two or three answers (also wastes time)...

Anyway, assuming the message is close to what you "quote", the solution would be that the
username isn't in the password file (is this what you mean by ".htpasswd" file?). Have you
checked this? If so, check that the password is correct - i.e. delete the entry for this user
in the password file, then regenerate it with htpasswd and make a careful note of the password
(pay close attention to case). If it still doesn't work, check the .htaccess file to verify
that AuthUserFile is pointing to the correct password file (this is a common mistake if you
originally copied the password file from another directory).

If you still can't get it to work, post back with the contents of .htaccess and the exact
error message from error_log...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

PS Try to get your htpasswd program working - it is best to use the most recent version.