httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: About update
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:14:22 GMT
I know the feeling: you have an old, but working, apache and you want to upgrade...

The cleanest (and bravest) solution is to unpack the sources (e.g. in /tmp) and run configure
with prefix set to your existing server root (e.g. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache)
then make and make install. If you do this, the new apache will overwrite the old one. Your
httpd.conf will be preserved but that is all. If there is nothing funny about your installation
or config, this should work first time!

However, in the real world, there will probably be something funny somewhere which will screw
this up. If you are running on a production server and have no development server and you
can't have the server down, then you must make and test the new apache first. So:

- unpack apache
- create a test server root, e.g. mkdir /usr/local/new_apache
- ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/new_apache
- make, make install

now test the new server on a different port;

- cp /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf /usr/local/new_apache/conf/httpd.conf
- edit /usr/local/new_apache/conf/httpd.conf and change the active port to 8000 (i.e. change
Port 80 -> Port 8000 or Listen 80 -> Listen 8000).
- start the test server; /usr/local/new_apache/apachectl start

- now see if you can hit your site on port 8000

If all is OK, copy the binary httpd from /usr/local/new_apache/bin to /usr/local/apache/bin
and restart the real apache.

rgds,

Owen Boyle