httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: LoadModule problem
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:34:18 GMT
>From: steveg [mailto:steveg@stevegcentral.com]
>
>Although this isnt' the same error I was getting I thought
>1.3.26 didn't
>support LoadModule and that it had to be replaced with
>AddModule .. am I
>just a very confused poor reader ?

Read the docs again for these two directives...

LoadModule goes and gets an external .so file (containg the compiled sources of the module
you want) and loads this code into the apache binary. Obviously, you need a DSO apache to
do this (i.e. apache has to have mod_so compiled in).

AddModule works on modules which are *already* compiled into the apache binary and activates
them. The use of this module is a bit special - a statically compiled apache has several modules
already compiled into the binary. Normally, at run-time, resources will be allocated to these
modules even if you do not intend to use them (i.e. variables will be declared, memory allocated
etc.). If you really want to be parsimonious, you can prevent these modules being allocated
resources by saying "ClearModuleList" - but this works for all base-level modules. If you
then want to get just one or two modules live again so you can use them, you do "AddModule
mod_foo.c".

Anyway, both directives are supported by apache and they do different things. It is  a bit
confusing though...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle