httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: where to get libapr.so and other so files
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:08:39 GMT
>From: Desmond Lee [mailto:desmond60@hotmail.com]
>
>rpm -ivh apache-2.0.39-0.2.i386.rpm
>error: failed dependencies:
>        /usr/bin/getgid   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        /bin/id   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        rc-scripts   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        apr   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        db4   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        libapr.so.0   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        libcrypto.so.0.9.6.1   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        libdb-4.0.so   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>        libssl.so.0.9.6.1   is needed by apache-2.0.39-0.2
>
>Where can i find the *so files that i'm missing (i don't even
>know what the so files even are really) and where do i put them.

"so" stand for "shared object" - its just a library with a bunch of functions in it that apache
wants to call (In the old days, computer programs were linear, monolithic blocks of code.
Then someone had the bright idea of cutting out repeated functions and putting them in a sub-routine
so they only had to exist once in the code. The next, even brighter, idea was to take really
useful functions out of the program altogether and put them in a library - then more than
one program could use the same function. Nowadays, the whole thing has gone bananas - nearly.
Apache calls functions in one library, the functions call other functions in other libraries
and so on in what physicists call an infrared catastrophe).

First of all, you *may* already have the libraries installed.. Try to find them with;

$ find /usr/local/lib -name "*apr*"

look also in /usr/ssl/lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/apache/lib etc.

Then check if your shell's LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set correctly. This is where your shell will
look for libraries when it is compiling, e.g.

$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

if you want to add to it, do like (I always do my compiles umder the bourne shell..):

$ /bin/sh
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/apache/lib
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and try your rpm again...

If you don't have the library, all you need to do is find it on the web and install it. Always
install it in the default location unless you really know what you're doing. to find it, look
in http://www.gnu.org, http://sourceforge.net, search on google, altavista etc... To install
it, either use rpm or download and unpack the tar.gz and follow the instructions in INSTALL.
Usually, it is quite simple, e.g.

$ su
# gzip -dc foo-lib.9.9.tar.gz | tar xvf -
# cd foo-lib.9.9
# ./configure
# make
# make install