httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: Restricting access with both IP address and password
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:59:06 GMT
>From: Trish Hartnett [mailto:trish_bms@hotmail.com]
>
>Well I changed the order from 'order deny, all' to 'order all,
>deny' and
>then I got server error message 500. So I commented out that line.

Please reread my post again - "order deny, allow" is OK, it is the next two lines you should
swap, i.e.

Order Deny,Allow
Deny from All
Allow from 137.43.47.27

>I think that 137.43.47.27 is the IP address because I used ipconfig in
>MS-DOS.

If you do ipconfig now does it confirm it?

> The access log is..."big" and there are loads of IP
>addresses in it.
>Sorry for being stupid, but how would I know which IP address
>was the IP address of my computer ?

All the requests are timed - look at the bottom for the most recent. Otherwise, make a unique
request then look for it in the log. E.g. if you request "banana.html" and then search for
"banana" in the access_log, you will see a line with banana.html and a 404 error code (assuming
you *don't* have banana.html). The first item on the line is the remote host which usually
is just an IP address...

Also, is your client computer connected directly to the server via a hub or bus? You don't
have them on different networks perhaps with a FW or router or bridge in the middle which
could be doing network address translation, do you?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle