httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: ErrorDocument: 403 Forbidden error
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:12:56 GMT
>From: Jean-Christian Imbeault [mailto:jc@mega-bucks.co.jp]

>If I have the <File error403.html> directive give access to
>the file the
>the file is served up. If I comment out the directive I get this error:
>
>  Forbidden You don't have permission to access /error403.html on this server.
>
>Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while
>trying to use
>an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

As far as I can see, your scheme only allows access to your site if the referer field contains
your site name. Therefore, I don't see how any primary request (typed into the browser) can
get access since it will have referer empty. The only way in will be from a page already on
your server - but how do you get to that page? Is it possible to see any pages on your site?
How do you access the first page?

>> is the errordoc /www/htdocs/error403.html?

>I think not. Since document root points to /www/htdocs using a leading /
>in "/error403.html" means from the DocumentRoot find error403.html.

Exactly. So it should look for /www/htdocs/error403.html. Why do you say "I think not"?

Rgds,

owen Boyle