httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: ErrorDocument: 403 Forbidden error
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:45:04 GMT
>From: Jean-Christian Imbeault [mailto:jc@mega-bucks.co.jp]
>
>I need some clarification on what the referrer is when an
>ErrorDocument
>is triggered I think.
>
><Directory "/www/htdocs">
>    AllowOverride None
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from env=local_ref
></Directory>
>
>ErrorDocument 403 /error403.html
>
>However if my server gets a request that generates a 403 it
>send out the
>following:
>
>  Forbidden: You don't have permission to access /badpage.html on this server.
>
>Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while
>trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
>But everything is fine if I put this:
>
><Files error403.html>
>  Order Allow,deny
>  Allow from all
></Files>
>
>My question is why do I need to explicitly allow access to the
>ErrorDocument file? When an ErrorDocument directive is triggered doesn't
>act like a local request?

Yes... the error document is served instead of the requested file and the HTTP code is 403
or 404 or whatever, instead of 200.

> Or does it cause the browser to request the
>file ErrorDocument is pointing to and the referrer is empty?

No - this would be like a redirect but this is not what happens.

Can you access the error doc directly? i.e. does:

http://your-server/error403.html

work? Obviously it should for the scheme to work but I suspect it will not work. You must
have a

What does you document root point to? I guess /www/htdocs... so is the errordoc /www/htdocs/error403.html?

Rgds,

Owen Boyle