httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Mentovai <mark-l...@mentovai.com>
Subject Re: httpd failed (weird pid file)
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:54:45 GMT
Abrar Hazarika wrote:
> The apache server started ok with pid 7150 but it also
> created httpd.mm.7149.sem in /var/run. With loglevel
> 'debug' it gave the following in error_log. I think
> running this way will again cause the server to fail.
> Though it is not a production server but is only for
> inhouse s/w development with php and mysql, it is
> still worrying me.
>
> Can you guide me more?

If the server is running, and the messages below are all you see in your error
log, you shouldn't worry.  Everything looks normal, including the
httpd.mm.#.sem file.  That file should be removed as part of a normal shutdown,
its presence is not an indication of a forthcoming crash.

> And how do i start httpd with -X option. i tried from
> /etc/rc.d/init.d but it does not take any option only
> start,restart etc.

You invoke httpd with -X directly, not through a script.  Make sure Apache
isn't running, find out how httpd is started in init.d, add -X, and type that
command into a shell as super-user.

Mark