httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Mentovai <mark-l...@mentovai.com>
Subject Re: httpd failed (weird pid file)
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:18:01 GMT
Abrar Hazarika wrote:
> This is my first post to this group.
> Apache 1.3.19-5 was running fine on RH7.1 machine. But
> from yesterday it failed to start. There is no error
> on the error_log file. In the /var/run it shows as
> httpd.mm.xxxx.sem where xxxx=number which i believe is
> the pid.
> Searching through google i found a bit which says 'mm'
> relates to shared memory. But didn't help me much.

httpd.mm.#.sem is used as a semaphore for certain shared memory
operations when using a version of Apache built with the extended API
and common configurations of the MM library.  EAPI is added to Apache
in order to support mod_ssl.

Sometimes, Apache will exit in such a way that this file (and
potentially other files) will not be cleaned up.  They're safe to
remove, but their presence alone doesn't tell you much specifically
about why Apache is exiting or refusing to start.

Apache may be exiting before it has an error log available.  Does it
print anything to stderr when you attempt to start it yourself?  It's
also possible that you have an inappropriate ErrorLog or LogLevel
setting in your configuration file, try "LogLevel info" or possibly
even "debug".  You might also consider starting httpd with the -X
argument in addition to the arguments that you normally use; this will
cause debugging messages to be printed on stderr and will prevent the
server from forking.

Mark