httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject Re: OPM: EW: Fails to ping process with pid:2820
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:23:43 GMT
On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 17:20, Mary Peterson wrote:
> Has anyone ever had the following message appear in their error log?  We
> are getting it frequently and have tried increasing the jvm timeout
> value and decreasing the jvm heap size, but it has not helped.  Our
> environment is Windows2000 and Apache bundled with Oracle 9iAS.
>
> [Mon Jul 01 15:34:47 2002] [error] OPM: EW: Fails to ping process with
> pid:2820.  Probably the process is hanging and can not response.  In
> most cases, the JVM is either heavily loaded or doing GC.  Please
> increase the jvm timeout value or decrease the jvm heap size to reduce
> the time of doing GC.  The process is about to be restarted.
> [Mon Jul 01 15:34:47 2002] [warn] OPM: ADM: Process 2820 terminated
> using SIGTERM successfully
> [Mon Jul 01 15:35:47 2002] [error] OPM: EW: Fails to ping process with
> pid:2620.  Probably the process is hanging and can not response.  In
> most cases, the JVM is either heavily loaded or doing GC.  Please
> increase the jvm timeout value or decrease the jvm heap size to reduce
> the time of doing GC.  The process is about to be restarted.
> [Mon Jul 01 15:35:47 2002] [warn] OPM: ADM: Process 2620 terminated
> using SIGTERM successfully
> [Mon Jul 01 15:35:47 2002] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.x] Premature end of
> script headers: (null)
>
> I would appreciate any help with this error message.  Thanks!

Hi,

  I suspect OTN might be a better source then the apache users list,
given this is an Oracle problem, not a apache one.

  Having said that, two recommendations:  1) Oracle's suggestion to
  decrease heap size seems counterproductive.  Depending upon how poorly
  engineered the app is, decreaseing heap size most likely will increase
  the need to run the garbage collector. 2) You might try adding the
  '-Xincgc' flag to the java command line.  This will have the effect of
  invoking the garbage collector more frequently, but with less to do it
  will finish faster and should stay out of the way more, if garbage
  collection is contributing to the problem.

HTH