httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Sherwood" <mail.li...@shawus.com>
Subject CGI Script Access
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:42:16 GMT
Hi.

I'm running Mandrake Linux 8.1 and Apache 1.3.20.

I want to allow my users to create their own CGI directories, and run their own CGI scripts.
I did some research, and found the following on simplythebest.net:

If you have attempted to install the cgi-bin directory outside of the typical cgi-bin location
are having a problem viewing the scripts in your browser, you may need a .htaccess file to
be placed in the directory you're attempting to use to execute the scripts. This is for people
using Apache web servers whose hosts will not allow them to run cgi scripts outside of their
main cgi-bin folder. This .htaccess file will override the server and allow you to run the
scripts from within any directory. Put these two lines in a TXT file and name it .htaccess,
then upload it to the directory you wish to use for executing scripts.

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

This doesn't seem to work. I get an error saying I have an internal server error when I try
to access the user's own cgi-bin directory. So I did some more searching and found the following
in my commonhttpd.conf file:

    # If you want to use server side includes, or CGI outside
    # ScriptAliased directories, uncomment the following lines.
    #
    # To use CGI scripts:
    #
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

    So this should all work together, right? What am I missing?

Scott