httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: Problem between http and https
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 06:11:26 GMT
EdwardSPL@ita.org.mo wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I don't understand the use of rediect ...
> Can you help me ?
>
> Thanks,

Please read the docs on mod_alias, and especially the Redirect directive.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_alias.html

It's fairly straight forward; when the client do request a matching URL, you
tell him to use another one. A directive, like the one by Joshua Jackson,
and myself, would do the trick:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName webmail
    Redirect / https://webmail/
</VirtualHost>

When the user types "[http://]webmail" into the browser, Apache will tell
the user agent to try "https://webmail/" instead. It will also work if the
client tries something like http://webmail/folder/, as he will be redirected
to https://webmail/folder/. Note that this isn't a transparent alias, but a
real "redirect", and the new URL will show in the client's address bar.

This, I believe, will work for you. And for a more complete implementation,
look at my previous reply where I suggested an implementation of 3 virtual
hosts (Main - noSSL, WebMail - noSSL, and WebMail -SSL).

Regards,
Robert Andersson