httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Wingfield" <rtwingfi...@archaxis.net>
Subject Re: Where to best locate and install source files?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:27:50 GMT
Gary, thanks for the "heads-up" regarding the link.  A BIG help!

Ron W.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gary Turner
  To: users@httpd.apache.org ; Ron Wingfield
  Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 10:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Where to best locate and install source files?

  On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:38:59 -0500, Ron Wingfield wrote:

  <snip>

  >Generally, how does the unix culture name and locate stuff these days.
  >I don't recall ever seeing a /var/ directory in SVR3 or SVR4 AT&T unix.
  >What does "var" stand for?

  For the "official," if not always honored file hierarchy, see the
  "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

  The use of /var/www/ as the document root is not compliant, but is used
  apparently for historical reasons.  The /var/ directory is used for
  system variable files, such as logs, mail and print spools.

  I use /usr/local/lib/www/ and /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin/ for my roots.  An
  argument can be made for /usr/local/share/apache/www/ and ../cgi-bin/,
  respectively.  The use of /usr/lib/... can be dangerous as upgrades can
  over-write these files.  /usr/local/... will be protected.
  --
  gt
  It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---