httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Wingfield" <rtwingfi...@archaxis.net>
Subject Where to best locate and install source files?
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 00:38:59 GMT
Hello to all,

I guess this is an organizational question re: FreeBSD v4.5+.
Where should I unzip the httpd-2.0.39.tar.gz files?
I originially loaded binaries for v2.0.28 from a FreeBSD 4.5 distribution CD
and the installation created the path, /usr/local/etc/apache, for the
location of various config files, etc., such as httpd.conf.

I have created a directory, /usr/src/apache-2.0.39/, and decompressed
the http-2.0.39.tar.gz package there, which resulted inthe directory,
/usr/src/apache-2.0.39/httpd-2.0.39/.

/usr/src/ "sounds" like a logical place to store "user source".
If the apache.sh object in located in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory,
can the apache.sh executable object simply be moved to this location,
regardless from where it was originally created?

Generally, how does the unix culture name and locate stuff these days.
I don't recall ever seeing a /var/ directory in SVR3 or SVR4 AT&T unix.
What does "var" stand for?

Suggestions? -- Thanks,
Ron W.