httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Tom Ray" <...@blazestudios.com>
Subject Re: What is significance of the .gz extention?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:21:08 GMT
This is a Gzip file, it's a form of compression. Generally, files are TAR'd then to compress
them a little more, Gzip'd. To un-gzip this file run this:

gunzip httpd-2.0.39.tar.gz

this will give you the file httpd-2.0.39.tar and then you can just untar it and you're rockin
like Dokken

----- Original Message -----
  From: Ron Wingfield
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 1:06 PM
  Subject: What is significance of the .gz extention?

  I have downloaded httpd-2.0.39.tar.gz ; however, I do not understand the significance of
the .gz extention.  I have been off in OS/400 systems for several years, and the last time
that I was active with unix systems, we only used .tar.  In other words, how should I restore
this from the "tape archive (tar)" file.

  Thanks,
  RW