httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Beard <j...@cyberxape.com>
Subject Re: install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 05:11:06 GMT
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi Jeff
>
> THanksk for your reply. I just have some more questions.
>
> So, remove all these apache modules that were listed above? Not remove the
> apache version which was installed when the os was installed?

If you want to use the 2.0.x version that you installed in /usr/local/apach2,
yes, I suggest doing this so that you are only dealing with one installation.

> So, do not remove apache version 2 correct? Keep it is where it is installed
> right now in /usr/local/apache2/ ?

Right. That's the one you want to keep.

> Do you mean remove the old apache version package by using rpm -nodeps?
> Is there any reason why apache is installed in /etc/httpd/ by default in red
> hat? Usually it's suppose to be in /usr/local/apache2/?

I don't know about the nodeps flag. I'd just remove all of it. If you change
your mind later, it no big deal to re-install it from the cdrom. To remove RPMs
use 'rpm -e <package name>'.

> When i type httpd -v it says that the old version of apache is running. How
> do i get rid of this so that the version of apache that lives in
> /usr/local/apache2/bin/ is used instead.

Use rpm to remove it. It'll shut it down and delete it from your system.
Then start the other one with '/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start'.
If you want this to run when you reboot the computer put this command in
the file /etc/rc.local.

--Jeff

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architect, Programmer, Sysadmin
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com