httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Beard <j...@cyberxape.com>
Subject Re: install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:21:28 GMT
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm fairly new to linux and just starting to learn apache.
> I've installed Red hat v 7.3 and selected to have apache and mysql to be
> installed as well. HOwever, i need to get apache 2.* in order to run a
> coldfusion server.

According to their website, you do not. 1.3.x is supported on your platform.
You might check with Redhat for updated RPMs if you don't want to build from
scratch.

> So, i had apache 1.3.23-11 installed and then installed apache 2.0.39 on top
> of that. WHen apache 1.3.23 was installed during the red hat installation it
> used the /etc/httpd/ dir to set up the conf, logs and module dir. But when i
> installed apache2.0.39 i went w/ the defaults and isntalled it in the
> /usr/local/apache2/ dir. Now i have two versions of apache files in
> different places. How do i use only the latest installation? Does red hat
> need the apache server files placed in the /etc/httpd/ dir for any reason,
> or can i go w/ the default of /usr/local/apache2/ ?
>
> I don't just want to remove all the files from the /etc/httpd/ dir. I also
> tried to do
> >rpm -e apache 1.3.23-11
> But taht didn't work cause i have dependicies
>
> error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
> apache is needed by apacheconf-0.8.2-2
> webserver is needed by mod_dav-1.0.3-5
> webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.26-5
> webserver is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
> webserver is needed by webalizer-2.01_10-1

You can remove all of this.

> Should remove the apche 2 installation by removing the /usr/local/apache2/
> dir and then reinstall apache configured to install in the /etc/httpd/ dir
> (where linux put it by default).

Don't bother with this if you want to keep this one.

> Or, should i try and remove the originall apache installation done when
> installing red hat and then try reinstalling apache 2 to the /etc/httpd dir?

Don't install in /etc. That would be bad style. Remove the RPMS and all
dependancies. You won't break anything since all that stuff above is
Apache stuff.

Install in /usr/local/apache2 (or whereever you actually want it).

Try typing /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v instead since that's
where it lives.

--Jeff

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architect, Programmer, Sysadmin
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com