httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Beard <j...@cyberxape.com>
Subject Re: undeclared identifiers (was Re: httpd dies on segfault)
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 21:24:20 GMT
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Michael Styer wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jeff Beard wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Michael Styer wrote:
> >
> > > What else would you look at to figure this out if it were you in my place?
> >
> > Thanks for simplifying my task. ;)
>
> You're welcome, I think.

I only meant that I hadn't much of a clue what the errors meant
but I can provide more generalized techniques for getting Apache
running again. :)

> Unfortunately, I don't have a config.status from the previous build, and
> I'd like to make some changes to this binary from the configuration of the
> last one.

This is where my opinion diverges. I rarely do major architectural changes
on a production server unless there's no other way. The issue I have is
that there are multiple failure paths which make troubleshooting
exponentially more complex.

Just trying to save you some of the pain I've put myself through. :)

> This didn't seem feasible, as I'd like to use DSOs, and I couldn't see how
> to compile and install mod_perl in a completely separate deployment tree
> without installing another copy of perl itself in that tree, which seems
> like the top of a slippery slope towards recreating everything in this new
> directory.

Yes, it's not exactly clean but it reduces the number of failure paths for
each iteration of build/test.

> So what I've done is go back to the beginning as much as possible and
> start over. I've compiled mod_ssl 2.8.10, mod_perl 1.27, and php
> 4.2.1. All seemed to go swimmingly. Now I've configured Apache 1.3.26 with
> this line (the EAPI stuff I've copied from httpd -l on the old binary):
>
> SSL_BASE=/usr EAPI_MM=/usr/local EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH=/var/run/httpd.mm \
> ./configure --with-layout=mylayout \
>             --enable-module=all \
>             --enable-shared=max \
>             --enable-rule=EAPI
>
> Configuring works fine, but when I run make it reports undeclared
> identifiers, apparently in compiling util.c (I think):

[...]

This failed for me with other errors. I'm going to try to reproduce your
situation. I'll get back to you in a bit.

--Jeff

--
Jeff Beard | Systems Architect, Programmer, Sysadmin
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com