httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:45:19 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Alain Siani wrote:

> Good day,
>
> How can i upgrade my web server apache :
>
> 1 download rpm file for 2.0v
> i do : rpm -Uvh ...
>
> what happen to httpd.conf ? do i backup it before ?

The answer to this question is *always* "YES". Always back up your
configuratin files before making major changes. That is not just
specific to Apache, but a general rule you should learn to live by.

Now, the specific question - most times when you upgrade, your
configuration files are preserved. I don't know what this specific rpm
does. Assuming, however, that you are upgrading from 1.3.something to
2.0.something, that could change things, as there are a number of things
that you will want to change in your config when doing that upgrade.

There is a program that you can dowload from covalent.net which will
assist you in converting your 1.3 configuration file to a 2.0
configuration file.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org