httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: logging servername out of http header
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:30:46 GMT

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, David Nedved wrote:
> Unfortunately, some of the servers I need to run this on are running a
> very old Apache binary that doesn't like some of my log directives, so

Ouch.  That would be a VERY old version of apache.  You probably want to
upgrade that for a bunch of reasons.

> Also, as an aside, I'm slightly confused here.  If I put the CustomLog
> directive outside of the <VirtualHost> paragraphs, it doesn't seem to
> log anything, it only seems to work when I put it inside a particular
> <VirtualHost> paragraph.  Is there a place I can put it so that it logs
> ALL traffic on the box without having to put it inside several hundred
> <VirtualHost> blocks?

That is a little flaw in the way logs are handled in apache.  If you don't
have ANY logging directives inside the <virtualhost>, then the logs in the
main server context should catch requests.  But as soon as you put a log
inside the <virtualhost>, it will turn off all the main server logs for
that virtual host.  Your only choices are either to make sure you don't
have any logging directives at all in the virtual hosts, or repeat the log
directive in every virtual host.

Joshua.