httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Mod_rewrite problem
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 16:57:07 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Tom Myny wrote:
> RewriteRule ^/admin(|/.*)$ /admin.php
>
> Apache says on start-up: RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression
> '^/admin(|/.*)$'
>
> When i use this line on a redhat 7.2 apache server it works, but on my
> self-compiled apache 1.3.24 not :(
>
> Mod_rewrite is compiled without DBM support (altough db-4.0.14. is installed), maybe
it's that ?

No.  The DBM is not the issue.  The issue is that, depending on how you
compile apache, it will either use the system-provided regex library, or a
bundled regex library (HSRegex in 1.3, PCRE in 2.0).  So, you could figure
out which one redhat is using and make sure use the same one.

But instead of doing that, why don't you fix your RewriteRule.  What is
that RewriteRule supposed to do?  I'm moderately good at these things, and
I can't understand the point of that at all.

Perhaps what you want is
RerwiteRule ^/admin(/?.*)$ /admin.php
but since you aren't using the reference, you can just use
RewriteRule ^/admin.* /admin.php

If that isn't what you want, please explain in words what you want the
regex to match.

Joshua.