httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_include feature request
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:21:59 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> If this isn't a good forum for suggested feature requests, can someone
> suggest a better one?
>
> I would like to see an 'encoding' parameter for the "include" command.
> Currently I use a cgi-bin script (via a handler) to replace characters
> that aren't safe in html (<, >, and &), but this seems less efficient
> than having mod_include do the substitution.
>
> The reason I want to do this, is so that there is only one copy of
> a document that may get served up several ways on the web server.
> (Perhaps as a cgi-bin script and as a code sample embedded in another
> page.)

I don't really understand the need.  Why do you want to encode a file
before including it?  Are you saying that you want to be able to server
the source-code of a cgi-script file as html?  That sounds like a very
special case that probably doesn't warrent new code in mod_include.
Perhaps you want to look at mod_ext_filter in apache 2.0.

Joshua.