httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: Apache and FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:39:02 GMT

1) Due to the security concerns I would never use FP ext. However sometimes
the decisions are based on user requirements. In that case it is trade-off,
would you rather have a secure server or have FP ext.....

True: WebDAV is not a "exact" replacement of FP ext, however it is the best
and most secure replacement.

2) I would never use FP on my desktop. I use DreamWeaver, which worx fine
with WebDAV. I dont know of anything that FP provides that is not in
DreamWeaver. But then I am not a web developer. Again it boils down to: if
you a going to have a client that is full of bugs and security issues, or
if you going to have a stable client with less functionality but more
security.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
-------------------
`Be what you would seem to be' -- or, if you'd like it put more simply --
`Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what
you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.'"

                    "James L.

                    Morris"               To:     <users@httpd.apache.org>

                    <jmorris@grn.g        cc:

                    eoret.net>            Subject:     Re: Apache and FrontPage 2002 Server
Extensions

                    06/06/2002

                    09:29 AM

                    Please respond

                    to users

Since we are on the subject of Front Page extensions ... I have a few
questions
for anyone who has the time.  Thanks.

1.  WebDAV isn't a nice, clean replacement for Front Page extensions ...
correct?
I mean ... if you "replace" Front Page functionality with WebDAV, the
people
who
have Front Page webs won't be able to take full advantage of their client
software,
correct?  I have never used Front Page, or installed the extensions due to
security
concerns.  I feel like we are "missing out" because we don't offer it.
Comments?

2.  Can one still use the Front Page client software and publish to a
non-FP
extended
web server?  Not sure exactly how Front Page clients publish ... FTP?
Other?

Thanks!
Jim

"'users@httpd.apache.org'" <users@httpd.apache.org>