httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lad.G...@cle.philips.com
Subject MS Word, .htaccess & Passwords
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:42:15 GMT
I'm running RH 7.2 with Apache 1.3.22-2. My document root is at
/usr/local/httpd/html. CGI resides at /usr/local/httpd. My .htaccess file
is located also in the /usr/local/httpd directory because I need to have
the env of REMOTE_USER passed to some of my CGI scripts. All this works
fine.

I have users directories at /home. So when a user has a word document and
someone tries to access it, the browser puts up the "enter network
password" box. You can click OK to the empty box or hit cancel and the .doc
file proceeds to open. This type of scenario also happens in the protected
area of the tree structure. The curious thing is that I have seen this only
occur with MS word documents. It doesn't happen with pdf files, text files,
etc.

I have checked the mime types and played with the httpd.conf file till I'm
blue. The only thing that I have found to get passed this trouble is to
remove the .htaccess I am open to any and all suggestions to resolve this
quirk while maintaining the security of .htaccess.

tx