httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Pacheco, Michael F." <MPach...@elcom.com>
Subject DSO Loadable Modules and mod_ssl config question
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:13:41 GMT
Hi All,

I've read the httpd docs, the mod_ssl docs and understand how to compile
mod_ssl into apache with --enable-ssl - but I would like to install it as a
DSO module instead and I guess I'm just not getting method straight in my
head.

What I percieve to be the proper install method for mod_ssl to a DSO
compiled apache source install - Platform RH7.3

cd ../apache1.3.xx
./configure --enable-module=so
make
make install

I should then be able to use apxs to to compile any module into a loadable
module ie: mod_ssl

cd ../mod_ssl-2.8.xxx
./configure \
 --with-apxs[=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs] \
 --with-ssl=/path/to/openssl  (This does assume that openssl is already
installed)
make
make install

copy mod_ssl.so and mod_ssl.c to the apache modules directory
Insert LoadModule and AddModule for mod_ssl into httpd.conf, stop and start
httpd,

config the SSL module of httpd and a VirtualHost for 443 - apachectl stop -
apachectl startssl - and off you go!!

Question - at what point does apachectl get modified with the startssl
option?

Any comments would be appreciated - am I in the ballpark?

TIA  Mike

Mike  Pacheco