httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Desmond Lee" <desmon...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:22:35 GMT
Hi Jeff

THanksk for your reply. I just have some more questions.

>According to their website, you do not. 1.3.x is supported on your
>platform.
>You might check with Redhat for updated RPMs if you don't want to build
>from
>scratch.

I think your right, but it only says that red hat v7.2 (not 7.3) is
supported.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/coldfusion/productinfo/system_reqs/

I asked one of the support guys at macromedia and his repsonse was
"Coldfusion MX hasn't been tested with Redhat 7.3 yet, I've checked with
Coldfusion Techinal Support and they said you it will work as long as you
use Apache 2.036 with it"

> > error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
> > apache is needed by apacheconf-0.8.2-2
> > webserver is needed by mod_dav-1.0.3-5
> > webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.26-5
> > webserver is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
> > webserver is needed by webalizer-2.01_10-1
>
>You can remove all of this.

So, remove all these apache modules that were listed above? Not remove the
apache version which was installed when the os was installed?

> > Should remove the apche 2 installation by removing the
>/usr/local/apache2/
> > dir and then reinstall apache configured to install in the /etc/httpd/
>dir
> > (where linux put it by default).
>
>Don't bother with this if you want to keep this one.

So, do not remove apache version 2 correct? Keep it is where it is installed
right now in /usr/local/apache2/ ?

> > Or, should i try and remove the originall apache installation done when
> > installing red hat and then try reinstalling apache 2 to the /etc/httpd
>dir?
>
>Don't install in /etc. That would be bad style. Remove the RPMS and all
>dependancies. You won't break anything since all that stuff above is
>Apache stuff.

Do you mean remove the old apache version package by using rpm -nodeps?
Is there any reason why apache is installed in /etc/httpd/ by default in red
hat? Usually it's suppose to be in /usr/local/apache2/?

>Try typing /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -v instead since that's
>where it lives.

When i type httpd -v it says that the old version of apache is running. How
do i get rid of this so that the version of apache that lives in
/usr/local/apache2/bin/ is used instead.

Thanks a bunch for your help. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Desmond