httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Desmond Lee" <desmon...@hotmail.com>
Subject install apache 2.0.39 over ontop of red hat apache install
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:57:34 GMT
Hi there

I'm fairly new to linux and just starting to learn apache.
I've installed Red hat v 7.3 and selected to have apache and mysql to be
installed as well. HOwever, i need to get apache 2.* in order to run a
coldfusion server.

So, i had apache 1.3.23-11 installed and then installed apache 2.0.39 on top
of that. WHen apache 1.3.23 was installed during the red hat installation it
used the /etc/httpd/ dir to set up the conf, logs and module dir. But when i
installed apache2.0.39 i went w/ the defaults and isntalled it in the
/usr/local/apache2/ dir. Now i have two versions of apache files in
different places. How do i use only the latest installation? Does red hat
need the apache server files placed in the /etc/httpd/ dir for any reason,
or can i go w/ the default of /usr/local/apache2/ ?

I don't just want to remove all the files from the /etc/httpd/ dir. I also
tried to do
>rpm -e apache 1.3.23-11
But taht didn't work cause i have dependicies

error: removing these packages would break dependencies:
apache is needed by apacheconf-0.8.2-2
webserver is needed by mod_dav-1.0.3-5
webserver is needed by mod_perl-1.26-5
webserver is needed by mod_ssl-2.8.7-4
webserver is needed by webalizer-2.01_10-1

Should remove the apche 2 installation by removing the /usr/local/apache2/
dir and then reinstall apache configured to install in the /etc/httpd/ dir
(where linux put it by default).

Or, should i try and remove the originall apache installation done when
installing red hat and then try reinstalling apache 2 to the /etc/httpd dir?

Right now when i do
>httpd -v

i get
Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux)
Server built: Apr 9 2002 14:56:43

so i think this means that i'm not running Apache 2.0.39?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

desmond