httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bernecker, Richard {PBSG}" <Richard.Bernec...@pbsg.com>
Subject RE: name vs ip based virtual
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:21:25 GMT
If you're using IP based virtual hosting, moving an app from
one server to another does NOT require any DNS updates - only
that you bind the virtual host's IP to the interface of it's
new server and unbind it from the old server. that can be a
lifesaver if you ever smoke a server/need to hit Disaster
Recovery mode. (DNS update times can get really slow when the
business needs the web site back up *like NOW*...) And, as
was pointed out already, SSL usage is gonna lock you in to
using IP-based v-hosts anyway...

It's the only way for an application to be truly abstracted
from its underlying platform, imho....

--------
Richard Bernecker
PBSG - Addison, Texas