httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Gallen <ggal...@slackinc.com>
Subject RE: allowing free access to a directory under a protected directo ry
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:52:29 GMT
that's the issue. I want the root directory protected against the random
scanning of addresses, but also want to have a public directory that
I can give out the URL of that doesn't require authentication.

BUT...Can I have an authentication box come up, but not have the
name verified? so basically, any username will work. That would be
an acceptable workaround for now.

Thanks
George

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Andersson [mailto:robert@profundis.nu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 2:47 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: allowing free access to a directory under a protected directory

I don't think this is possible a clean way (not sure, though). If you have
something like this:

/www/priv/        (you want authentication here)
/www/priv/pub/  (you want it public here)

The visitor to /www/priv/pub/ must have access to /www/priv/ but it doesn't.

I think the best way to solve your problem is to not have the public area
below the protected, like:

/www/pub/      (no restriction)
/www/priv/      (login authentication)

And have /www/ point to /www/priv/, or something similar. I think you can do
it otherwise, but don't know how.

Regards,
Robert Andersson