httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eli White <ewh...@stsci.edu>
Subject Handling large file (image/video) requests.
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 18:26:25 GMT
I am the webmaster for a popular webserver that can often take MASSIVE
requests, and usually when that happens, many are for LARGE files
(10-70Mb)  (Hubble Space Telescope Pictures/Movies)

The problem is, which many of you have probably run into, that each
connection allowed must remain locked to that user until the download is
complete.  So with my server throttled at 1024 max connections, as soon as
256 people on modems each request 4 70Mb files each, suddenly the server is
at max capacity for half-a-day, because it is slowly feeding/waiting for
the long download to finish.

We can't keep just throttling the server higher, because we start running
out of RAM, with each Apache process eating into that.  [Yes, I know that
Apache 2 might solve some of these problems with it's threaded nature, but
we use PHP, and so can't go Apache 2 yet.]

The only main solution that seems to present itself for these situations is
to have a separate image server [Either a different machine, or even just
another copy of Apache Running on a different IP on the same
machine.  Could even be Apache 2]  And have this copy of Apache compiled to
bare minimums to be able to throttle it VERY high, and not eat RAM like
there is no tomorrow.

(Ok, another solution would be server-farm, but we are leaning away from
that right now.)

My main question is:  Is there something that I am missing?  Is there some
other way, than relagating image requests to a different server to 'bound'
them, to keep the connections open for the 'rest' of the website, and not
let just a few large files fill all the connections?

Thanks,
Eli

Space Telescope Science Institute
http://hubblesite.org/