httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Pedriana <p...@pedriana.com>
Subject Re: "User" httpd.conf statement doesn't work under Apache 2/Windows.
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:44:04 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
According to:<br>
We have:<br>

    which the server will answer requests. <br>
In order to use this     directive, the standalone server must be run initially
as     root. <em><br>
Unix-userid</em> is one of:</p>
  <dl>
    <dt>A username</dt>
    <dd>Refers to the given user by name.</dd>
    <dt># followed by a user number.</dt>
    <dd>Refers to a user by their number.</dd>
  </dl>
      Windows has user accounts much like Unix, and they are generally referred
to by name.<br>
Thus, a User directive under Windows makes sense. I'll guess, however, that
the Win32<br>
version of the User feature simply doesn't work and nobody has take the effort
to make<br>
it work under Win32 as of yet. But as an alternative, it is in fact it is
possible to tell <br>
Windows to start the Apache service under a specific account, as you say,
so for now <br>
I'll do that.<br>
Thanks.<br>
Paul<br>
Dmitry Medvedev wrote:<br>
 cite="mid000501c21c0a$51b62f20$7650a8c0@corp.devexpress.com">
  <pre wrap="">As far as I understand this you the User directove nas no sense in windows,
only in *nix systems.
The 1.3.20 version seems to just ignore this directive while the 2.0.39
refuses to start with it.

As alternative you can specify the account whose rights are to be assigned
to the web server at startup.

Regards,
Dmitry.</pre>