httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Musolino <musol...@pegasus.montclair.edu>
Subject Re: OSX & Apache
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:29:46 GMT
Barrie Robinson wrote:
> I recently did a bit of research and decided to upgrade to OSX and use
> Apache over Webstar. Initially I installed Suse Linux on the Mac butthis
> wasn't as stable as OSX seemed.
>
> Firstly, is there somebody out there who has installed Apache on OSX
> successfully, using Virtual Hosting. This is my main problem. I've
> sourced instruction from the net and followed the instructions
> precisely, but I've always run into problems and have ended up needed to
> reinstall OSX from scratch. I was hoping for a little advice.

I have compiled and installed both 1.3.x and 2.0.x on OSX without any
problems doing ./configure without any special options.  Also  httpd
that is supplied with OSX should be working for you fine, vhosts and
all.  Config files are in /private/etc/httpd, docroot is
/Library/WebServer/Documents
If you are going to compile apache, make sure you get the latest stable
libtool version, I think its 1.4.2.  You might want to download fink
from http://fink.sourceforge.net which has a bunch of open source
utilities to download

> Secondly, has anybody install Apache httpd-2.0.39 on OSX. I get this
> error message on ./configure. I was wondering if I'm doing it right -
> sorry fairly new to the system and apache, but happy to learn :)
> Platform: powerpc-apple-darwin5.5
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> configure failed for srclib/apr

Yes looks like you need the developer tools.  If you are running 10.1 make
sure you use the 10.1 developer tools