httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Wiesendanger <ste...@open.ch>
Subject Re: Extra numerical headers with mod_proxy and 1.3.24
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:09:55 GMT
Hi all
I've mentioned this problem in an earlier post. It occurs with mod_proxy
since 1.3.24 (which coincides with mod_proxy starting to use HTTP/1.1 in-
stead of 1.0 in previous versions).

There is a patch for 1.3.24 which is supposed to fix this (I can't confirm
for now but am recompiling Apache with this patch):
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/patches/apply_to_1.3.24/proxy_http1.1_chunking.patch

There is a patch for 2.0.x to let you select which of HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1
mod_proxy should be using:
http://www.apachelabs.org/proxy-dev/200105.mbox/%3C3482305AF0F6CF469ED45C0D48FAFCF7091FF27D@cnet10.cnet.com%3E

At a more basic level, the problem seems to be related to the way mod_proxy
rearranges the HTTP headers and maybe to the additional X-Cache line it
adds. This for some reason keeps the client browser from correctly inter-
preting the "Transfer-encoding: chunked" line in the HTTP header. For me,
this is a browser problem (present in all currnet M$-Browsers and Netscape,
but not Mozilla 1.0, applause), but as a website operator, you need to
work around browser problems (you know the song).

Also, check the remarks at  http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/02-03-29 about
mod_proxy in 1.3.24 (HTTP/1.0 vs. 1.1 issues, Cookie support).

Cheers://Stefan

stefan wiesendanger
risk engineer

open systems ag
raeffelstrasse 29
ch-8045 zurich
t: +41 1 455 74 00
f: +41 1 455 74 01
stefan@open.ch

http://www.open.ch

--

PGP fingerprint: 3437 2D2D E20F C10B EE2D 3562 970A F347 3B2E 8416