httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Access Restriction problem in 1.3.24
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2002 03:25:25 GMT
Brandon McMurray wrote:

> I am able to restrict access to /server-info and /server-status, and to
> directories which do not contain a DirectoryIndex document.  I am not able
> to restrict any directory that contains a DirectoryIndex document.
>
> For example, in the same config file, this works:

>     Order Allow,Deny
>     Deny from all
>     Allow from 192.168.0.50

> But this does not:

>    Order Allow,Deny
>    Deny from all
>    Allow from 192.168.0.50

I hate to tell you this, but neither of those work.  It is possible that
you have some other directives that, by conicidence, seem to make the
first one do what you want, but this is definitely a wrong configuration.

Look at the docs for the Order directive.  You will see that what you
have will deny access to all hosts in all cases, because "Order
Allow,Deny", causes the "Deny from all" to be evaluated last, overriding
any Allow directives.

Joshua.