httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Lopez <dan...@rawbyte.com>
Subject Re: Rewriting to lowercase
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:16:11 GMT

> I guess I should have asked both in the earlier message. I am trying to
> find the best way to do this; I have an NT server running IIS and am
> switching/upgrading to a linux box with apache. Of course, many of the
> users setup their websites with mixed cases that don't correspond the the
> case of the filename.
>
> Now, I can probably find scripts to rename all the files in the directory
> to lowercase, so that isn't an issue. But, I need a way to get apache to
> find them, no matter what the case in the html source is. I'm guessing
> something could be done with mod_rewrite. I looked at the URL rewriting
> page, and didn't see anything specific for it.
>
> How can I do this, and will it work with everything in the HTML, or just
> the links they click on( i.e. will images still be broken)?
>
> I hope this isn't something I should have already come across, forgive me
> if it is.

mod_speling can take care of exactly what you describe
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_speling.html

"Attempts to correct mistaken URLs that users might have entered by ignoring
capitalization and by allowing up to one misspelling"

It is possible also to use mod_rewrite rules to do the same, but in your
case mod_speling is the way to go. It may have a bit of performance impact
if you have a very busy website

Daniel

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/