httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
Subject make install suggestion
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:57:29 GMT
Since I have had an opportunity to be compiling 2.0.37 snapshots a lot
lately, I have noticed a feature of make install that could be improved.
Currently make install checks to see if some configuration files exist
and doesn't overwrite them if they do. A similar check is made before
installing files at the top of the html directory tree. However this
doesn't work very well, because in normal use you don't want a bunch
of these files. In particular the apach_* and index.html.* files.
What I think would be better would be to first test to see if the
html directory was empty (or perhaps if there already is an index.html
file) and only install the default web pages in this case.
A configure option to not install the default pages would be just as
convenient if the developers think that would be a better way to do things.