httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>
Subject Re: mod_include feature request
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 18:28:23 GMT
On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 13:21:59 -0400,
  Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> I don't really understand the need.  Why do you want to encode a file
> before including it?  Are you saying that you want to be able to server
> the source-code of a cgi-script file as html?  That sounds like a very
> special case that probably doesn't warrent new code in mod_include.
> Perhaps you want to look at mod_ext_filter in apache 2.0.

I have a few cases where I include text documents inside an html document.
I have done this for source code, PGP keys and text based tables.

I looked at the source for mod_include and mod_deflate and things are more
complicated than I thought. I have a very vague idea of what is going on,
but it isn't obvious to me what would need to be done to make changes
to the data returned for the include subrequest. I also haven't had much
luck finding out why there is a problem when INCLUDES and DEFLATE are
used together.

The extern filter stuff looks a bit simpler and perhaps is faster than
my current method of using a cgi-bin handler script to do this. I need
to use a sym link, but I was going to need to do that for most things
anyway to disable mod_includes or mod_cgi processing for the included file.
And if I do want includes processed for something, I can use a different
extension and stack the two filters.

Thanks for the information.