httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: Re[2]: Apache SSL question
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:07:22 GMT
>From: Robert Andersson [mailto:robert@profundis.nu]
>
>I'm not sure about this, but can't you use two or more SLL
>VHosts on the
>same IP, if you give them different ports, that is, different
>sockets? This
>should allow mod_ssl to identify the VHost. The problem would
>be that you
>explicitly need to state the port number in URLs etc.
>
>Is this correct, or does SSL require port 443?

This is exactly correct. One of the workarounds is indeed to put additional SSL VHs on different
ports. This is a fine solution for an intranet but may have problems on the public internet
because some firewalls block "non-standard" ports. Therefore, some of your customers may be
unable to access your server on the other port. Also, as you say, you need to specify the
port in the URL...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle