httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject RE: Memory management in Apache.
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:49:32 GMT
  Statically linking the modules makes them available always.  The
benefit to memory and speed comes from eliminating the overhead of
accessing dynamically linked objects.  There is considerable overhead
involved in communicating with a dynamically linked object, both on
the side of the caller and of the object itself.  This added
communications burden is eliminated when the objects are statically
linked in.  Apache developers estimate at least a 5% increase in
performance for statically linked modules over dynamically linked
modules.

  Having said that, there is an increased burden on the http process,
mostly as concerns memory requirements, if you statically link in
objects you do not need.

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 02:09, ranga@readytestgo.com wrote:

> hi,
>
> im not really sure statically building the modules would actucally be
> loaded as & when needed.

  I think you are confused about static and dynamic modules.  Building
a statically linked module into apache makes it part of httpd.  Building
a dynamically linked module produces a module that httpd can load as
needed, but on most platforms will simply load at startup.