httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Nerad <jne...@cimedia.com>
Subject Re: Mod-proxy
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:55:37 GMT
On Tuesday 18 June 2002 15:57, you wrote:
> Sorry,  Running AIX 4
>
> John

> What kind of OS are you/the school, running?
>
> Paul
> Edmond, OK

run

./httpd -l in the appropriate directory to show the modules that are
currently compiled in.  You might just need to use a directive to
enable it.

If you don't have that, but do have mod_so, you might be able to find a
module somewhere to install.  Barring that, you could possibly compile
a new one from an old distribution.  I've never done that so I really
can't help you there.

> > 2.  My apache is located in my sirsi directory under WWW
> > (/s/sirsi/WWW) , and my web files are there under htdocs.
> > If I should reload or upgrade, will I need to copy those files to
> > another directory while I do this.

Not necessarily.  If you need to make changes to those files to make
them work with a different version of apache (which is really
unlikely), you could do that.

> > 3.In the book, Apache Server 2.0, a beginner's guide, the
> > recommendation is to delete the old files before placing new files
>
> on
>
> > the server.  Is this the best way to go?

Not necessarily.  I don't have the context of that statement, but I'd
bet that the authors would qualify the statement somehow.  If you have
a system that is in production, that is critical to your operations, it
is probably better to have a staging server that you can try things out
with, and then move them to the production server when you are
confident of them.

There are a number of ways to handle this, one of which would be to
have an alternate server based in (e.g.) /s/sirsi/WWW2 listening on a
non-standard port (e.g. not 80, above 1024).  Depending on what
applications the web-server uses, another might be to set up a cheap
intel box as a completely separate staging server.

> > I could place the new files in the default Apache directory and
>
> point
>
> > my Unicorn software to that directory.  Would this be better than

You really want to preserve and protect what is working while at the
same time developing and testing the new functionality that you
require.  When you achieve the new functionality you desire on your
staging server, switch it into production.

Just my $0.02.

--
Jack Nerad