httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@home.ro>
Subject Does Apache has security problems?
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:03:03 GMT
Hi all,

Here is a message I have received from another list.
Do you know something about this?

Thanks.

There is a major vulnerability with Apache.  From what I heard today
a buffer overflow can be caused by a hacker allowing memory to be addressed
directly allowing an attacker to execute code of there choice. This Apache
software is used on aprox 56 percent of net servers and routers including
UNIX and zenix.  A U.S. company discovered this and told the public before
telling the developers.  A fix was released but did not address this
problem.  The exploitation code is freely available for download allowing
hackers to create worms that make code red look safe  by comparison.  It is
of concern as many routers also use this software.

If you wish to hear the article concerning this development go to
http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio
and look for the netnews link the article
will be available on audio on demand either using real player or windows
media player.  I listen to the netnews program every Sunday at 12 pm
Australian eastern standard time.  You can by clicking on the listen to us
link and on the next page either the real audio link or the media player
link.  Just thought you should know if any of you are running Apache server
/router software either on the windows or zenix /UNIX platforms.

Teddy Center for the blind: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
Mail: orasnita@home.ro